3 – 27 – 13
Busy. I’ve been busy. It’s the kind of busy that you like, because what’s keeping you busy is important. They’re things I’ve promised to do. They’re things I feel passionate about.
But I can’t help but feel helplessly disconnected. Disconnected from my website. Disconnected from Pinterest, Google Reader, and Twitter. Disconnected from email. Ugh.
I know we’ve all been there, done that. I guess the BIGGEST thing that makes me even want to write is to let you all know that I am indeed still alive and well.
Many of you know me from looonnnggg ago. The days of “jmeacham.com” started years ago and at their peak, boasted multiple updates a week. Many “followers” would schedule their weekly visits to coincide with the usual Sunday-night-updates. I’d often get emails asking about them if I happened to be late. Loved it when that happened (getting emails, not being late). :)
I can’t tell you how different life is now, just a few years later. Less updating from my end. Blogosphere explosion. TpT craze. Who am I kidding? It is actually ZERO updating from my end. Not that I’ve hit a “writer’s block” or anything. And certainly not because I plan to “go TpT” as many of you have asked about.
I have big ideas. Big plans. Jmeacham.com is not going away. It will remain as long as I can afford the hosting fees. (And thanks to 11 generous donors, I was able to pay for hosting fees for a couple of years.) No, jmeacham.com is here to stay. Stay stagnant though? No. Like I said, I have big ideas and plans. I just haven’t figured out a way to invent time.
Lately I’ve been involved in:
- Technology Committee Co-Chair. We meet as a committee once a month. We meet as subcommittees weekly. Lots of on my own projects/research between these meetings.
- Education Summit Planning. Our district hosted their first summit June 2012. We’ve had two more since then. (If your district doesn’t host summits, you should consider having one! They are a great way to bind the community together!)
- YES for Southern Door Students group member. Our school is going for a referendum on April 2, 2013. We really need this. I’m behind some of the graphics, some print media, and both Twitter and Facebook pages. We’re almost to the point of biting our nails. Nerve wracking times!
- TECH Responder. I’ve accepted an “extra” job at school. For a small stipend I get the privilege of responding to various tech needs, during my preps (and, both before and after school, too). Love it.
- Tech Trainer. We’ve implemented 3rd Wednesday Trainings in our district. I’ve had the pleasure of teaching a few SMARTboard and digital storytelling classes.
- Workshop Presenter. Yeah…I do present every now and then. Not too often, though. I prefer summer presentations. That’s mostly what I’m booked for. I have three lined up for this summer already!
- Freelance Graphic Design. I’ve always said that for my “next job” I’ll probably be a graphic design person of some sort. I don’t have the degree, but I must have something, because I get requests to “make that” or “create this” all the time.
- First Grade Teacher. Implementing the Common Core State Standards for first time ever (district-wide). New version of Math Expressions resource. (Love it!) Wiping tears, noses, and spilled milk. Smiles of encouragement; Looks of disbelief. Laughter that says, “It’s OK; We’re OK; We CAN Do This!”
The last bullet, above = a more than 40 hour a week job. I know you understand. The other bullets above that one add a few gray hairs to my 38-year-old head.
I love my life. I love my job. I’m content. I’m discontent. I want to do more. MORE related to Jmeacham.com. I know you need more. I need more, too.
I guess this long post will end now. Know that I haven’t decided to be stagnant anymore. I just need to get a few of the bullets in my life (as referenced above) out of my life. Then on to the big dreams I have.